An ECG Heart Test is a simple test to record your heart’s electrical activity. Getting an Electrocardiogram (ECG) scan doesn’t hurt or take long and it can be done near you at our Highbrook Medical surgery. ECG tests can rule out any abnormalities or diagnose an issue.
ECG Heart Test
If you’re having any heart complaints, a normal first step is to get an ECG scan. This non-invasive test of heart rhythms gives our healthcare team the ability to make an informed diagnosis about the best cardiac care for you.
An ECG heart test simply records your heart’s electrical activity, it’s completely safe. Prepare for your ECG
- Before your ECG heart test, inform us if you are taking any heart medications.
- We’ll need to put some sticky electrodes on your chest, arms and legs. This won’t hurt.
- We’ll give you a gown to wear
- The test takes about 5 – 10 minutes and we’ll have a chat before and after.
- We can see the results right after the test finishes.
- Feel free to bring a whānau member or support person.
If we diagnose a long term heart condition, we have many ways to manage and alleviate long term conditions.
Will I need other tests?
We take an Electrocardiogram called a ‘resting ECG’ which means you will relax in a seat or on a bed. It’s the most common ECG in cardiac care practice.
Sometimes, we might refer you for other heart tests like an :
- Exercise Tolerance Test (ETT): This is conducted while you exercise on a bike or treadmill. It measures changes in the heart due to increased stress on the heart.
- Cardiac Holter Monitoring Test: This portable device records your heart for 24 – 48 hours while you go about normal activities.
- An Event Monitoring ECG test is also portable and you get it to record your heart when episodes of dizziness, chest pain or palpitations occur.
A General Cardiology check-up is a great place to start to ensure heart health is managed.
Health care professionals providing Electrocardiogram (ECG)
Frequently asked questions
To join our clinic, you first need to fill out the patient enrolment forms to register with the PHO that we belong to. This is a Ministry of Health requirement. You will need to provide proof of identity and eligibility which may include the following forms of identification:
- NZ Passport or NZ birth certificate
- International passport with resident visa OR work visa of minimum 24-month duration
On the enrolment form you need to indicate which of our doctors (currently taking new patients) that you would like to be registered with.
Yes. As part of completing your enrollment, we request that you have a new patient screening appointment with one of our Nursing or Medical Centre Assistant team members.
This new patient appointment enables our team to work with you to better understand your current health and wellbeing.
Following the new patient appointment as above, you can book your first consultation with your nominated doctor.
The length of your first appointment with your new doctor will be as follows:
0-39 years 40 years - 15 Minutes - 30 minutes
40 years+ - 15 Minutes - 30 minutes
|0-13 yrs||14-17 yrs||18-39 yrs||40+ yrs|
|Free||$10 for screening and appointment||$10 for screening and appointment||$10 for screening and appointment|
|Free||$10 for Doctor appointment||$19.50||$39 for double appointment|
Payment is required at the time of consultation
You will get full access to the patient portal “My Indici” once you have completed your screening appointment.
Payment is required at time of consultation. Please note that unpaid accounts will incur an additional $10 monthly administration cost.
There may be additional costs for treatments/tests/materials
We recommend that you book your future appointments via your patient portal My Indici.
If you need an urgent appointment, then please phone the clinic. We have doctors available to discuss your urgent health needs on the day.
All consultations are by appointment only.
We are open:
Monday 7am - 5pm
Tuesday 8:15am - 5pm
Wednesday 7am - 5pm
Thursday 8:15am - 5pm
Friday 8:15am - 5pm
For health services after hours visit East Care Accident & Medical, 260 Botany Road, Golflands, Auckland 2013. Their phone is 09 277 1516.
Under 14 Years - Free 14 - 17 years - $14 18 years & over - $16
Note charge is the same for in person or by phone or video as you are still receiving the same high quality health provider assessment, diagnosis and planning.