Advance care plans
Prepare for your future healthcare with an Advance care plan (ACP). In NZ, an ACP is a written record to outline your preferences to healthcare providers. It helps whānau too, should you be unable to communicate or need end of life care.
What is Advance Care Planning?
Sometimes unexpected things happen. You may get a serious illness or need end of life care planning, so it’s useful to have communicated your wishes in advance.
That’s where an Advance care Plan comes into play. Of course, it’s voluntary to do make an ACP in NZ. But it will give you peace of mind that decisions can be made on your behalf that match your preferences.
How do I make an Advance Care Plan (ACP)?
Fortunately, our GPs and nurses are experienced in helping you write an ACP and ensuring a clear record is made of your wishes. Importantly, they aim to ensure your treatment preserves your wishes, mana, and wairuatanga. Likewise, you’ll be providing support to those close to you regardless of the circumstances you may find yourself in.
Get peace of mind with an ACP
- A record of your preferred health journey in the event of life-threatening illness, a long-term condition or an accident. Anything that compromises your ability to communicate
- Your wishes laid out to support family or healthcare providers in decision making on your behalf
- Flexibility to change the plan as much as you like if your wishes or preferences change
- In addition, whānau benefit from your end of life plan too. Clarifying your wishes relieves the burden of decision making from them
- Lastly, you’ll have peace of mind knowing there is less distress to loved ones because your desires are clear in your final days
What is included in an NZ Advance Care Plan?
You choose what is included in your ACP. But we might ask you to consider if you’d like to:
- detail any taha wairua (spiritual) or emotional considerations
- choose someone you trust to make decisions (a EPA for personal care and welfare) if you can’t communicate yourself.
- be an organ donor
- if you have a terminal illness, where would you like to be when the time comes to pass?
- funeral arrangements like if you’d prefer to be cremated or buried
Likewise, ee can also talk about the End of Life Act Choices Act. It’s useful to understand how that may apply to terminal illness you might be facing.
Some NZ ACP templates to start your thinking are available.
Learn more about how the Advance Care Plan NZ works.
Health care professionals providing advance care plans
Frequently asked questions
To join our clinic, you first need to fill out the patient enrolment forms to register with the PHO that we belong to. This is a Ministry of Health requirement. You will need to provide proof of identity and eligibility which may include the following forms of identification:
- NZ Passport or NZ birth certificate
- International passport with resident visa OR work visa of minimum 24-month duration
On the enrolment form you need to indicate which of our doctors (currently taking new patients) that you would like to be registered with.
Yes. As part of completing your enrollment, we request that you have a new patient screening appointment with one of our Nursing or Medical Centre Assistant team members.
This new patient appointment enables our team to work with you to better understand your current health and wellbeing.
Following the new patient appointment as above, you can book your first consultation with your nominated doctor.
The length of your first appointment with your new doctor will be as follows:
0-39 years 40 years - 15 Minutes - 30 minutes
40 years+ - 15 Minutes - 30 minutes
|0-13 yrs||14-17 yrs||18-39 yrs||40+ yrs|
|Free||$10 for screening and appointment||$10 for screening and appointment||$10 for screening and appointment|
|Free||$10 for Doctor appointment||$19.50||$39 for double appointment|
Payment is required at the time of consultation
You will get full access to the patient portal “My Indici” once you have completed your screening appointment.
Payment is required at time of consultation. Please note that unpaid accounts will incur an additional $10 monthly administration cost.
There may be additional costs for treatments/tests/materials
We recommend that you book your future appointments via your patient portal My Indici.
If you need an urgent appointment, then please phone the clinic. We have doctors available to discuss your urgent health needs on the day.
All consultations are by appointment only.
We are open:
Monday 7am - 5pm
Tuesday 8:15am - 5pm
Wednesday 7am - 5pm
Thursday 8:15am - 5pm
Friday 8:15am - 5pm
For health services after hours visit East Care Accident & Medical, 260 Botany Road, Golflands, Auckland 2013. Their phone is 09 277 1516.
Under 14 Years - Free 14 - 17 years - $14 18 years & over - $16
Note charge is the same for in person or by phone or video as you are still receiving the same high quality health provider assessment, diagnosis and planning.